(function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start': new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0], j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src= 'https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f); })(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-MBCC6PJ');
Say "Yes" Today
May 28, 1971 - April 29, 2011
Post a memory

"Sarah Hogan. A loving mother, daughter, sister, aunt, friend. She was taken too soon at the age of 39. 4/29/21 will be the 10 year anniversary. "

Sarah was a caring passionate woman who loved her friends, family and above all her kids. She worked hard and loved hard.
In the early morning hours of December 28, 2010 three days after Christmas and one of the coldest winters I can remember in the sunny state of Florida. Sarah was involved in a motor scooter accident that almost took her life. She fought for her life for 4 long months. She fought hard to get better for her family and her kids. She survived a 3 week long coma, a traumatic brain injury, multiple facial fractures, a shattered elbow and A quadruple break in her forearm.  On-top of all that she faced abuse from health care rehab canters.
Sarah couldn’t talk because of a tracheotomy and her extensive brain injury. But overtime she started mouthing words, and regaining function of her body . I taught her how to read again and she picked it up very quick. She would point at letters and words to tell me what she wanted, her favorite phrase she would mouth to me was “I love you”.

Sarah‘s tracheotomy kept getting infected. It caused her to have labored breathing and she was sent to the hospital from the rehab facility on multiple occasions. She no longer needed it and she was scheduled to get it surgically removed in June 2011 . Unfortunately in April of 2011, 4 months after her initial accident  And not long before her 40th birthday. Sarah died due to complications from the tracheotomy. After a long fight and a tremendous amount of heartache, This was such a hard blow for all her friends and family. But mostly her kids.

We wanted  something good to come from all this this tragedy and pain. After it was confirmed Sarah was gone, she stayed on life support for a few days before she was matched with her Organ recipients and on Friday April 29th 2011 she was quickly rushed away for organ donation. That was the last time I saw my mother. I was just 17.

Sarah saved a 60 year old man who received her heart and a 46 year old man who was married with five children received her liver.
She gave a second chance at life to a 36 year old woman who was in kidney failure due to diabetes. She received Sarah’s left kidney. Lastly a 42 year old married man received her right kidney and now had a new chance at life.

Sarah had a huge heart and I’m glad she got to pass it on to someone else who could use it. I’m happy that she gave new life to four people and brought a little happiness and peace to four different families.
I loved my mother and so did hundreds of other people. Everyone always had something to say about her smile.

Since then her kids have grown. Some have gone off to college and moved out of state.

He son is an accomplished IT technician. Her youngest daughter had a son, her first grandson that I know she would have loved to meet and Her oldest daughter just got engaged in December of 2020.
life moves on and the mourning stage passes. Life gets good again.

So here’s to Sarah. Almost 10 years later and I can still see your smile. ❤️❤️

Write Your Memory

Please login or create an account to get started.

Share Their Story