Every April, LifeLink celebrates Donate Life Month, a national observance spearheaded by Donate Life America to focus on the need for and importance of organ, eye and tissue donation. Due to the lack of available organs, more than 106,000 people across the country are waiting for a lifesaving transplant. National Donate Life Month is also a chance to honor and recognize the generosity of donors who make saving lives through transplant possible.
Throughout the month, individuals are encouraged to learn more about donation through virtual education programs offered by LifeLink as well as registering through their state’s organ, eye and tissue donor registry. Proclamations declaring April officially as Donate Life Month will be issued in many cities and counties throughout the LifeLink service area.
This year’s theme and artwork “Save a Life. Bee a Donor.” was inspired by the vital role that bees play in sustaining life. Bees are a smart, but powerful life force, working together with dedication, collaboration and a strong sense of community. This artwork and theme will be showcased in multiple campaigns to share the lifesaving message of donation with hospital partners, driver license offices, staff, volunteers and the public.
For the thousands of individuals listed for a lifesaving transplant, organ donation offers hope for a longer life. Anyone can be a potential donor, regardless of age or medical history; a single donor can save up to eight lives through organ donation and improve up to 75 lives through tissue donation. Individuals interested in celebrating this month are encouraged to follow LifeLink social media pages on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter to participate in the education programs offered.
HOW TO CELEBRATE NATIONAL DONATE LIFE MONTH
- Give hope and save lives by registering your donation decision on your state’s organ, eye and tissue donor registry or when renewing or obtaining a driver license.
- Share your donation decision with family and friends.
- Learn more about donation with LifeLink during the month of April
LIFELINK NATIONAL DONATE LIFE PROGRAMS AND EVENTS SCHEDULE
- April 1st Roar Through Ybor 5k Race, Centennial Park at 6PM
- Join the LifeLink Legacy Fund and the Lions eye Institute of Florida as we run to raise funds for transplant patients in need.
- April 6th – Live with LifeLink: Birth Tissue Donation, Facebook Live Event at 1:30PM
- Join LifeLink as we celebrate Living Donor Day featuring new ways expecting mothers can give the gift of life through birth tissue donation.
- April 17th to 22nd – Spirit Week
- Each day of the week leading up to National Blue and Green Day is dedicated to a special theme, and will include: recognizing donors, volunteers and healthcare heroes; giving hope to those waiting and engaging the public in fun at-home activities.
- Celebrate during spirit week by sharing your photos on social media and tag LifeLink on Facebook.
- April 22nd – National Blue and Green Day
- Wear blue and green colors in support of the Donate Life message and mission. Submit a photo in your most creative and spirited blue and green day attire to the Donate Life America photo contest starting April 22nd to April 29th.
- Let Your Light Shine Campaign - Light up your home or business with blue and green lights to bring awareness to the donation cause. Contact LifeLink to learn how to participate.
- April 28th – Live with LifeLink: Messages of Hope, Facebook Live Event at 11:00AM
- Join LifeLink for a virtual presentation to learn how LifeLink continued to connect families who wanted to communicate or meet, despite the struggles of the pandemic.